BHNZ has a judging community. Alongside Barbershop Harmony Australia, the two organisations have trained members that belong to the Australiasian Judging Guild.
Listed below are the BHNZ Members who are judges.
|David Brooks||Music Judge||Lower Hutt|
|Henare Mihaere||Music Judge||Wellington|
|Graeme Gainsford||Presentation Judge||Lower Hutt|
|Neville Kennedy||Presentation Judge||Dunedin|
|Charlotte Murray||Presentation Judge||Wellington|
|Michael Markham||Presentation Judge||Lower Hutt|
|Robbie Lane||Singing Judge||Wellington|
|Matthew Gifford||Singing Judge||Wellington|
|Henrietta Hunkin||Singing Judge||Lower Hutt|
|Andy Hutson||Contest Administrator||Porirua|
|Kevin Day||Contest Administrator||Lower Hutt|
Identified members of the Barbershop Harmony New Zealand are also members of the Australasian Guild of Barbershop Judges. This covers the 3 judging categories in men's barbershop:
Scores are given for each song for each category of up to 100 points. For most competitions, competitors can receive feedback from the judges following the contest.
Judges in this category evaluate the degree to which the performer achieves good singing in the barbershop style.
This involves the production of a consistent resonant sound created by good individual vocal techniques free from apparent effort, and by the quartet or chorus singing as a unit.
Singing judges listen for
• precise tuning – melodic line (lead part) and harmonically
• a feeling of fullness or expansion of sound
• a high degree of vocal skill
• a high level of vocal unity and consistency throughout the performance
• a freedom from apparent effort that allows the full communication of the lyric and song.
Judges in this category assess the extent to which the musical performance displays the hallmarks of the barbershop style, and the degree to which the musical performance demonstrates an artistic sensitivity to the music's primary theme. Judges in this category assess the musical elements in the performance:
• range and tessitura,
• rhythm and meter,
• construction and form
These judges evaluate how effectively a performer brings the song to life. They respond to both the visual and vocal aspects of the presentation, to evaluate the interaction of these aspects in creating the image of the song, as well as everything about the performance that contributes to emotional impact upon the audience.
A presentation judge will be asking if the musical and visual delivery of the song is from the heart, believable, and sensitive to the song and its arrangement throughout.
To contact the above people, either click on their name, or use the Contact Us page.
Contest rules can be found here.
Contest & Judging Team Co-Chair
Responsibilities:Strategic & Implementation Planning,
Stakeholder Relationships & International Liaison,
BHS Judge Appointments,
AGBJ Assignments (w/ BHA)
- BHS & AGBJ Certified Singing Judge
- Bass of 2014 Int'l Champion Quartet Musical Island Boys
- Assistant Musical Director & Vocal Coach Vocal FX 2016 Int'l 6th Place Chorus
- Harmony University/College Faculty BHNZ, BHA (Australia), BinG! (Germany), BHS (Barbershop Harmony Society - USA), Holland Harmony.
- Int'l Quartet and Chorus Coach.
- Keynote Speaker 2015 BHS Harmony University (Nashville, USA)
Gary Bolles Contest & Judging Team Co-Chair
Contest Rules,Policies, and Procedures,
AGBJ Manual and MOU with BHA
- Past BHS Music Judge and Category Specialist
- BHS Music Judge Emeritus (35 years' service)
- Int'l Chorus and Quartet Coach
- Harmony University/College Faculty BHNZ, BHA, BHS (Barbershop Harmony Society - USA).
- Coach Musical Island Boys, 2014 Int'l Champions
- 2 time BHS Int'l Top 10 Chorus Director
- 3 time BHS Senior Int'l Quartet Silver Medalist.
Responsibilities:Contests and Conventions,
IT & Communications.
- AGBJ Certified Contest Administrator
- Chorus President Harbour Capital Chorus
C & J Team
Responsibilities:Judge pathway to certification,
Judge monitoring and evaluation,
Training Resources for judges,
- AGBJ Certified Singing Judge
- Sweet Adelines Int'l Sound Judge Candidate
- Young Women in Harmony National Coordinator
- Bass of EvenTime quartet, SAI Int'l competitor.